18/09/20 - 08:43 AM

Author Topic: Bard or Ranger Help me out!  (Read 2748 times)

Thorius

• Registered
  • Bard
    • View Profile
Bard or Ranger Help me out!
« on: February 26, 2019, 02:06:06 PM »
I’m trying to decide between a Bard and Ranger but talk myself into and out of Both? Any suggestions on the best for group/raid game?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 04:49:41 PM by Tarot »

Gakule

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bard or Ranger Help me out!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 02:11:33 PM »
Do you want to spend the next 3 months eating DT's? Pick ranger!

Do you want to be fast, desired, and able to do just about anything like a strong independent woman who don't need no man? Pick bard!

Do you want to do actual DPS? Kind of? Pick ranger!

Do you want to do super sweet jumping bow shots*? Pick ranger!

Do you want to be able to AFK and be nearly just as effective? Pick bard! Or Ranger after Luclin!

*Not included in gameplay, included only for dramatic effect

Zaviere

• Majestic Mage
  • Friends & Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 03:05:49 PM »
Going a bit off what Guzzle already said, Bard is definitely a pure support class early on in EverQuest.  Don't expect a Bard to be topping the DPS charts, or at times even getting to DPS at all depending on the fight and what kind of group they're in during raids.

I can't speak much about Rangers because I've never played one, but they're bound to likely be more dynamic to play in raids in the early expansions compared to Bards. 

Groups are a different story, however; a good Bard in a group setting can be VERY dynamic in terms of playstyle, definitely lots of fun to be had.  Rangers I would think could be fun to play in groups as well, just maybe not able to do quite as many different things as Bards can.

For me personally, I'm rolling a Bard for this ride.  I played one as a raiding main on Live servers for about 5 years and really fell in love with the class as a whole.  While Live server Bard-ing is a FAR different experience compared to Classic+ Bard-ing, I want the opportunity to play one at an end game level all the way through the EQ ages.  Plus, Bards can be Vah Shir (the master race) in Luclin, so that made the choice even easier!

Finally, if you want to look at it from just a numbers perspective, we as a guild have 6 Bard mains and 5 Ranger mains listed so far, so there's that.

Dunno if any of what I'm saying helps, but I hope you can come to a decision that suits you best!

Kryptox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 06:09:21 PM »
My 2 cents - I played a bard in a previous TLP. Loved it - up until level 45 where you cant mez anymore and all you do is crappy melee dps and buff everyone. Not that is bad, it just sucked being useful, and then BOOM, you cant mez anymore (45+ mobs). Still extremely useful in raids
Ranger has a bunch of ramp time, if you're able to fill the role and spend your time, eventually you'll be pretty solid (their dps isnt terrible with DoTs) when you gear and eventually bow dps with AA's.

Thorius

• Registered
  • Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 06:26:42 PM »
Yeah I am aware of the gap with the Bard. Level 45 and then again at level 53 in Kunark... That’s honestly one of the big reasons I’m second guessing my choice... Groups may be hard to come by when you lose the ability to mez.

Remloch

• Stormbreaker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »
Yeah I am aware of the gap with the Bard. Level 45 and then again at level 53 in Kunark... That’s honestly one of the big reasons I’m second guessing my choice... Groups may be hard to come by when you lose the ability to mez.

The good news there, hopefully guildies wouldn't put someone just bc they cant mez, at that point you've only got 5 levels to go before cap.. Then you just gotta make it over that hump when Kunark releases...

Also, with a bard in group, prolly not MUCH need for mezzing as you'll be increasing DPS over the rest of the group anyhow.

Thorius

• Registered
  • Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »
Hightankz... Yeah. Ranger doesn’t come into their own either till Luclin. I just know the bard fills the Niche of puller/CC and once they hit 45 their CC is really limited and they can’t really pull any better then a lot of other classes till AA... I’m sure it won’t be a problem within the guild.

Kryptox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 09:33:50 PM »
Great point - at 45+ bards can really do well pulling and overhasting a melee group, more pew pews

Thorius

• Registered
  • Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 09:50:59 PM »
Maybe I’m not remembering correctly but there is no overhaste till Velious or Luclin... I may be wrong.

Remloch

• Stormbreaker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 09:52:40 PM »
Yah, no overhaste

Frosk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 09:56:23 PM »
velious is first over haste iirc

Terses

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 08:31:24 AM »
but you might still be able to convince them that it does in fact make them FEEL hastier  ;D

Nyvlag

• Registered
  • おはよう!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 11:52:29 AM »
This anti-ranger propaganda is triggering me greatly. Don't make me Ranger again please.

Bards can be kinda boring to main on raids... unless you're working with the pull group... which typically doesn't happen quite as regularly as it probably should until Fading Memories comes into play (PoP). Bards can be the undisputed kings of pulling once Fade comes in.

Both are highly effective (and fun) in groups in all expansions.

Rangers become unstoppable in the group-game the further into the expansions we go... for a while they can /autofire, /afk, /trueshot and top the parses... but that goes away fairly quickly. You can top parses in Classic; but you need the absolute best gear and be 100% perfect in execution. Same for Kunark. Velious it starts getting a lot harder because you get locked into Wyrmslayer/Swiftwind and can't escape that, while everyone else keeps getting decent weapon upgrades. Then Luclin hits and you become everyone's favorite DPS class.

Raiding as a ranger depends on you and how comfortable you are with the class. A good ranger can make a lot of other people's mistakes vanish like they never happened.
Aggro messed up? Flame Lick. Flame Lick. Flame Lick. "Ok MT, you can have it now."
Mob positioning wrong? Flame Lick. Reposition. K.
Raid about to wipe? Weaponshield. You have 30 seconds to fix it, bois.
The DPS ain't bad either. But everyone will make fun of you until you show up to the raid with a shovel and your game face on.