21/10/20 - 01:09 AM

Author Topic: Places to level for Freeport Monk /Troll Shaman  (Read 3213 times)

Touching

• View Profile
Places to level for Freeport Monk /Troll Shaman
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:22:12 AM »
Trying to figure out a good path for leveling. I will be playing Freeport Monk as main and boxing Troll Shaman. I want to get them together at level 1 and level at same time and want to hear your guy's opinions.

Would it make most sense to run my Monk over to Innothule Swamp and level there and maybe at around level 10 move over to North Ro or Oasis till I am ready for Upper Guk and then finish up in LGuk. Really only concerned lvl 1-18 till I can get to UGuk.

My thought process for running Monk to Shaman is my Monk wouldn't need anything from the town, but Shaman needs to buy spells. I just have never leveled in "Evil" starting zones so unsure how good the Swamp is.

If it matters, I will be starting 2 weeks late due to an untimely vacation.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 04:48:42 PM by Tarot »

Remloch

• Stormbreaker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Places to level for Freeport Monk /Troll Shaman
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:27:15 AM »
I've been thinking on this.. I really don't have a strong answer for leveling in the swamp (is there even a legit newbie yard? Lol) I would maybe pop over to ogre territory and hunt around there.. Definitely understand not wanting to use Freeport newbie yard (which is superior imo) bc of the long run for sham for spells..

What if.. You bound in CL in the tunnel and waited until level 5 and then origined back for spells? Maybe pop the troll out kill some things for some quick cash to grab what you can then hoof it to Freeport? 

Kryptox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:09:57 PM »
I agree with hightankz. Getting spells is really a non issue at lvl 5 - origin + gate = completed.
The only way I could see innothule swamp being ok would be just the lack of peopel there, if you would find a spot with a decent mob count.
Feerrot has a nice skeleton ruin area in the corner, thats kinda fun at 5 +.
But again, probably would just be better grouping with a full group of noobs in freeport and everyone just mass killing lvl 1s and 2s (atleast to lvl 3, wouldnt stay much past that)

Gakule

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »
North Ro - just crawl from Freeport down south IMO. Long run to start, but gate trivializes it pretty quickly.

Sildra

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
Inno Swamp has an ok newbie yard, but the mob density isn't that great; on initial server rush will be tough grabbing some of the lowbie mobs. Since you are starting two weeks late it should have cleared out enough that you could level up there some. Honestly though your better bet might be to go to FP Yard, and just Origin back from time to time for spells.

Twitch

• Registered
  • Dead? No excuse for laying off work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 03:39:11 PM »
I get my spells via bank trade. Just make a L1 alt in the starting city or cities where you can by your spells. Have your Monk go to the Freeport bank and trade money/spells via the two shared bank slots by logging over. It helps to put two cheap bags in there so you can fit more.

Touching

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 07:00:20 PM »
Good idea on both using alt to buy and transfer to Monk and also the bind thing. Do you think two weeks in you will already have randoms just chilling in tunnel to actually cast that bind?

Twitch

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 07:06:39 PM »
Absolutely! Probably the first day or two. It's a very busy spot.

Remloch

• Stormbreaker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 07:26:59 PM »
Good idea on both using alt to buy and transfer to Monk and also the bind thing. Do you think two weeks in you will already have randoms just chilling in tunnel to actually cast that bind?

There is a soulbinder in the tunnel =)

Kair

• Registered
  • Healin yer arse since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 08:44:00 AM »
Yep he's a frog!

(Signature courtesy of Kalairo)

Sippy

• Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
Also, you start Uguk at lvl 4/5. If you do entrance, crocs then scryer then ... you could do 5/50 Uguk+Lguk

Touching

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 11:39:56 PM »
Is there enough spawn in uguk for that low lvl?

Daikon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 12:41:19 AM »
I have an unorthodox suggestion.  Oasis and Ocean of Tears, mostly.

I'd do 1-10 in North Ro.  At 10, move to crocs in SRoasis.  Stay there until about 18ish, then on to undead island in OoT.  There are 2 reasons for this.

1) There's a zillion mobs on the island
2) Gargoyles there drop eyes that vendor for 13pp

Once you've hit 24ish, then it's off to Sister Island.  Most of the named Sisters there drop long swords every time that vendor for 11pp, and all of them (named or not) drop purity belts which you can wear on the monk, vendor for 1.5pp, or sell to other players for around 5pp (at least on other TLPs, that was usually the going rate).  You will lose elf faction for killing sisters, but the answer to that is MUFFINS! The muffins for Pandos quest in Freeport will fix the exact factions you lose from killing sisters, and with the $$ you're making from their swords, you'll have no problems throwing a few stacks to the dwarf every time you pass through. 

The Sisters will take you to 31 or so with no problem, but the $$ is so good, you'll probably want to stay there until they completely green out.  By this time, you should be able to move back over to undead island and kill the spectres on top of the hill.  These will take you to 40ish, at which point, with all the amazing gear you were able to purchase with the sister's loot, you should be able to kill Seafuries.  These will take you all the way to 50, or if you want to get REALLY brave, head over to the Elite Goblin island in your late 40's.  Just be careful. Aggro range there is crazy, and Godzilla still spawns there.

Some notes. 

1)Get your monk magic gloves and shoes ASAP. This will let him hit magic creatures.  The easiest way I've found, until you get something like Wu's gauntlets or GIGs is to troll (PUN!) the vendors in Grobb for Netted/Mesh gloves and shoes.  These drop pretty frequently in Guk, and people vendor them all the time.

2) One issue you're going to run into with Monk/Shaman is no snare.  Luckily, since you're going with a Troll Shaman, there is a solution.  In your early 30's you should be able to do the Symbol of Innorukk quest in Neriak that will reward a clicky snare necklace.  You won't have to equip it, just keep it in your inventory for unlimited clicky snare goodness! http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1254

Also, give serious thought to race changing both to Iksar ASAP when Kunark drops.  The extra regen, AC, and progressive class quest rewards are MORE than worth it.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:43:26 AM by Cromwell »

Twitch

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 11:04:49 AM »
I agree on the gargoyles! The only problem I've seen on previous TLPs is that they are crazy-camped. That said, if you bring your own group and look for new picks you'd be all set.

Aonin

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 08:44:46 PM »
FWIW, there's also a soulbinder at the camp in the far southwest corner of S Ro not far from the Swamp zoneline. Your human can bind there and you can hunt the swamp until about 5 and then hit U Guk. The entrance at U Guk is usually really good from 5-10 and deeper in will get you to high 20s. In addition, Cazic Thule will be great from low 20s to low 30s if you want a break from Guk for a bit.